Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Real Relationships with Rachael-Lea: Online dating and other tech ...

By Racheal-Lee Rickards

I met him online. Like many others who are tired of the nightclub scene, I was told online dating was a great way to meet someone. I came up with a smart name, a recent photo and jumped in to join the millions of singles looking for a connection.

After weeding through the men who put up pictures of Brian McKnight, and the crazy old men who hunt deer for a living and somehow think they may have something in common with an urban chick, I came upon him. He looked normal, didn?t seem like he?d have any weird stuff in his freezer, and was cute enough. He responded and we took our conversation from online to text. Problem was, in between exchanging one too many smiley faces, I had failed to realize that I signed up for a text relationship.

Do you remember what dating used to be like when you actually had to rely on hearing a person?s voice at the other end of the line? When laughing out loud was actually laughing out loud? Between Twitter, Facebook and PlentyofFreaks.com, um, I mean, PlentyofFish.com, something?s gone terribly wrong. I have to admit, I?ve been part of the problem. When we sat across from each other at dinner, phones on the table, in between laughter and bites of food, we busily responded to the call of an incoming text or Twitter status update.

Call me old school, but I miss running home, hoping that ?he? had called and left a message on my answering machine?not?voicemail, answering machine. I remember the feeling of seeing that flashing message light and anxiously pressing play. If you?re anything like me, you would?ve held onto that message and replayed it until you accidentally erased it. Later that night, you had a reason to put on your control-top pantyhose, get dressed and curl your hair. Late-night conversations involved?whispers?not Wi-Fi. Dating was a whole lot sexier! And while communication was less convenient back then, conversations felt warm, talking had deeper meaning and a kiss goodnight was not a set of lips sent via text.

To make things worse, the majority of men online don?t seem to be taking it too seriously. A guy friend of mine recently told me, ?Online dating is really only good for one thing. We don?t go on there to meet Miss Right, we go on there to find the woman who will be right for tonight.? He then added, ?We can go online, meet a girl, and tell her to bring over a bottle of wine and her own condoms. I feel sorry for you good girls. There are far too many women giving it up easy. And while all men want a good woman, sometimes the path of least resistance is the easiest way to go.? Yes, that?s right, ladies. There are plenty of women who will put out without even the thought of a second date and ruin it for the rest of us who are looking for a little more than a temporary warm body beside us.

Needless to say, my account is closed. Now, I?m campaigning for others to do the same. Stop scrolling through the list of men who want to chat via web cam and find someone who wants to sit down and have a real conversation. Get out and meet someone the old fashioned way.? It?s time to go back to the basics!

Related Articles:

Source: http://swaymag.ca/lifestyle/real-relationships-with-rachael-lea-online-dating-and-other-tech-nightmares/

Lolo Jones fox news legend of korra lebron james magic mike trailer Alan Turing brave

No comments:

Post a Comment